The city ' , in its current structure , was founded by Julius Caesar in 69 BC with the name of Novum Comum . But the area surrounding hilly was intensely inhabited since ancient times , as evidenced by various findings , including those of particular interest are nearby necropolis of Ca ' Morta. The area was conquered by the Romans in 196 BC , became a Latin colony in 89 BC and in fact municipium in 59 BC Fundamental issue of the pre-Alpine road system , Como became eta Augustan one of the main centers of production and trade of Transpadania .
The decline of the Roman Empire , suffered domination of the Goths , the Lombards and the Franks. Become common , the its strategic and commercial importance the port in conflict with the nearby Milan, in a ten-year war (1117-1127) that ended with his defeat . Allied Barbarossa , had rebuilt the walls and fortifications surrounding the educated and participate ' in the destruction of Milan in 1162 . Gained independence in 1183 with the Peace of Constance, was the scene of several internal struggles . His fortunes were later combined with those of the state of Milan , with whom hate the heavy Spanish domination. In 1714 step ' to the Austrians , under whose rule began' economic development. With the battle of San Fermo 1859, in which Garibaldi defeated the Austrians , Como by ' part of the Savoy and then the Kingdom of Italy . In this period the city lived a particular economic growth based on the industry of silk, affiancatasi in the sixteenth century to the more' old wool and already known in the eighteenth century German and British markets . Even today, the silk production Comasca , the strength of the city , and famous all over the world. It is dedicated manifestations of the Goddess Festival and Fashion Como , international appeal.
Como and Today ' a beautiful city ' that attracts tourists from all over the world , the heart of the city ' protected by tack accessible only on foot or by bike and this makes the visit enjoyable and relaxing. For shopping lovers there are numerous shops of fashion, design and crafts.
What to see :
- CATHEDRAL : built in 1396 when it feels the need to replace the Romanesque church of Santa Maria Cathedral from 1015, now too small and dilapidated also because of the flooding of the lake. The history of the building lasted for several centuries, until the completion of the dome designed by Filippo Juvarra in 1734. At this time the church change going from the Gothic style that characterizes the facade with spiers and pinnacles, to the Renaissance and the outer sides of the tripartite solution of the apse of the second project of 1519 by Cristoforo Solari. Had also contributed to the design of the other artists like Thomas Lombard and Rodari Giannantonio Amadeo influenced by Renaissance culture, which is affirmed in Milan thanks to the presence of Leonardo. The interior of the church shows the different eras of achievement in both structures with gothic pillars in the nave and a strong statement in the dim light that turns the light in the chancel renaissance , lavishly decorated , like the dome , in the Baroque period while the windows are nineteenth-century renovations . The exterior and characterized by a very significant especially sculptural decoration on the façade, while the interior paintings and sculptures belonging to different eras and authors including Bernardino Luini and Gaudenzio Ferrari Renaissance and Baroque Moray .
- BROLETTO : with its bell tower , town hall , leaning against the side of the church , the symbol of political power lay next to the religious , as in many cities Italian , it will be' partially demolished to make room on the side of the cathedral.
- MUSEUMS : are part of the Archaeological Museum , the Historical Museum , the Art Gallery and Volta Temple.
- VILLA Sucota _ STUDIO MUSEUM OF FABRIC : the headquarters of the Fondazione Antonio Ratti Villa that deals with contemporary art , hosting the MUSEUM STUDY OF THE TISSUE / MuST which illustrates the history of the fabric from the third to the twentieth century . The origins of the collections of MuST are closely linked to the activity ' of the Antonio Ratti who felt the tissues actual sources of inspiration for contemporary art production . The beginning of the story of Antonio Ratti collecting dates back to the fifties of the last century , the various nuclei of the collection have been increased by the purchase of individual objects or entire collections and archives of the divested business . After the death of Antonio rats , the museum has continued its policy of integration of collections by increasing both the core of the Como textile production than that of non-European fabrics . The exhibits of the collection rotate every six months , we organize also educational tours to discover the collections of the MuST , starting from Coptic textiles of the fourth century after Christ up to the production of half of the twentieth century. MuST preserves one of the most rich collections of Cashmere shawls Europe.
- ELM VILLA AND THE GREAT EXHIBITIONS: and the most famous historic houses and sumptuous between Como and Como has made one of the powerhouses of the Enlightenment in Italy . Simone Cantoni was able to be the interpreter of an aristocratic class educated and progressive, taking in buildings " reformed, modern" aesthetic values of "good taste " , in full adherence to the theoretical assumptions of the Enlightenment, in a historical moment that saw Lombardy - Milan and in particular - to become one of the centers more lively in Europe. The cantons by the Swiss architect in tune with the personality of the client , the Marquis Innocenzo Odescalchi , I come back ' from Rome in 1780 with a statement date and cosmopolitan , and decided to start a program of cultural renewal of the whole Como, note also included a suburban villa in line with the reforms of the Enlightenment .
The neoclassical architecture of the Villa dialogues with ancient citations and references to French culture thus creating a new language. Villa Olmo , which began in the late eighteenth century and ended in 1812, by the Odescalchi step to Raimondi , the Visconti di Modrone and finally , in 1925 , that the City has used as a venue for cultural events and art exhibitions. In the context of the Municipality of Como , the GREAT EXHIBITIONS : exhibitions have taken place in the history of big names such as Picasso, Miro , Magritte, Boldini , Rubens , Klimt, Chagall, Kandinsky , Malevich , the members of the Brueghel dynasty .